Sunday, February 10, 2013

Kids' Conversations.

Dear Diary, 

     This weekend, my husband and I did something very adventurous. No, we didn't hike the Himalayas. We didn't even have a junk food picnic in front of the TV while watching a military documentary. (Wait...that is really what we do for fun. Are we getting old or...what is going on here.) 

     Anyway, we packed our bags for a night and had a cousin sleepover while the parents went on a romantic get away. Since my kids are toddlers/babies and the kids we watched were 5, 7 & 9, we had a very fun and interesting experience. Here is a conversation we had at dinner one night. (We were eating Garlic Shrimp Alfredo from California Pizza Kitchen.) 

Me: Hey Taylor, can I borrow your cup that says Aylor on it? *Laughs*   

Taylor (9): *Giggle* Yeah. The T fell off. 

Porter (7): NO! Paige scratched it off when she was a baby. 

Paige (5): No I didn't! 

Taylor: Porter...we didn't even have those cups when we were babies. We got them last summer. 


*End of argument* 

Me: So, Paige. You hate shrimp? 

Paige: Yes, I HATE shrimp. 

Me: Are you picky? 

Paige: No.

Taylor: *Nodding her head and pointing to Paige behind her back*

Paige: Hey. Where you pointing at me??? 

Taylor: Well you are picky. 

Paige: No I'm not! 

Taylor: Yeah!!! You don't eat green things! 

*End of argument for Paige*

Me: Who else is picky? 

Taylor: Porter. 

Porter: No, I'm not! 

Taylor: Yes, you are! You don't eat peas! 

*End of argument for Porter* Ding, ding! Winner is...Taylor. 

Me: So Taylor, what don't YOU like?

Taylor: Um, probably red and yellow and green peppers. 

Porter: Red peppers are good! And so are yellow peppers. And green ones. 

Paige: Do you know what Porter's worse enemy is? Beans! Do you know what MY worst enemy is? Bacon! I hate bacon. Because I hate pigs. 

*End of conversation altogether* 

     During the time of this conversation, I was looking around for my phone, wondering how in the world I could record such an awesome moment in time. Kids, the way they talk, the way they move their hands, the way they argue about worst enemies being foods such as beans and bacon. 

     I never thought spending a weekend with 2.5 times as many kids as I already have (there were 5 kids, one gigantic tortoise and one boxer dog) would be my idea of "a good time". But it was fabulous! Kids really brighten the world and I'm so lucky to be a mother of 2 big balls of sunshine. And sometimes, they are just big balls. But I love them. 

Sincerely, 

Me. Mushy Magoo. 




No comments:

Post a Comment